Monday, October 20, 2008

1st post's a charm.

Hello there!


This is my eye and this is my ear. I have two of each and I use them to perceive images and sounds. I also have a brain (sadly, I can’t provide proof for that) which I use in order to construct some sense out of them. I also use my eyebrows a lot. That right one keeps jerk-responding to various audiovisual stimuli. I am human, I am of the male species, my first name is Thanos and, among other stuff, I watch movies. This is my blog about some of them. My blog ‘o movies, if you like.

So, this would be a good time to explain the name of this blog (if it isn’t obvious already) and perhaps shed some light on what this is all about. Day of the Locust is a beautiful and insightful novel by Nathanael West, written in 1939. It’s about the make-believe world/simulation that is Hollywood and how reality recedes before it. It’s about dreams and hopes and desperation and men and women and artists and film. It is about a nightmare with a laugh. It also happens to be one of my favorite books. So, there you go. It’s personal, it’s relevant, it’s good for you and pretty much says it all.

This is a blog about movies I love. Furthermore, it is a blog about movies I find important, and by that I mean that they make a point I believe it’s worth making. They are important both for their cinematic qualities and for providing a chance to hint at broader themes. That’s the idea. It may seem a bit archaic and old fashioned but that’s OK because that’s the way it is. I just hope this whole thing proves to be interesting.

Well, talk is cheap and blog-space is cheaper so next time I’ll come up with a movie review. Let’s see if I can make this thing work.

“Let’s go and see what’s buried in the garden.”

“Why not? I’ve always wanted to meet Mrs. Thorwald.

4 comments:

Zapata said...

Hi!
Good lookin' ear!
Stereophile eye!

vivazapata

slave to vertigo said...

They are certainly flattered. Stick around vivazapata, there's more.

Pirate Jenny said...

Καλή αρχή και καλή συνέχεια!
Bookmarked

ΥΓ- Αν θες μόνο αγγλικά σχόλια (για κάποιο λόγο), πες το τώρα.

slave to vertigo said...

Thanx Jenny.
English are prefered- yes- just because anyone can read them.
Whoa, I'm definately going to check out your blog. I can see some Carpenter and Romero in there....
Υγειαίνετε!